One secret to success in business that isn’t exactly a secret is a having a well designed office. Studies have shown that well designed offices is one of the easiest and most cost-effective ways to retain employees, make them more productive and make them want to stay and do work longer.
But how does an employer know if their office’s design is not working to promote the best out of your employees? Here are a few questions to ask yourself about office design:
- Enough Space – Ask yourself if your workers have enough spatial equality to get their tasks done, if not you may need a redesign.
- Is it healthy? – Clean air, water, sufficient natural and artificial light, freedom from distracting and loud noises are all factors to maintaining a healthy office environment. If your office is located next to a construction site, you might want to consider some sound masking for your office.
- Comfort factor – When your employees can adjust the light, temperature, furnishings and acoustics, they are generally more productive and work harder than if they had no control over those factors. Letting your employees adjust the office to their comfort level will add to their productivity and make them want to stick around the office longer.
- Reliable systems – Do you have reliable and interconnected systems in your office? Ones where employees can easily share data with each other? Computer and printing systems that are available when your employees need them? Reliable office systems are one of the ways to ensure a good office design.
- A unique place to work – If your office has unique decor reflecting your company’s mission, brand or attitude, that is another way to have an effective office design. If you don’t have any unique pieces up on your wall or around your office, consider getting materials related to your company’s mission and brand.
If you feel like your office can no longer meet the goals you’ve set for yourself, it may be time to move to a new office. Sometimes, designs and layouts that were relevant to worker productivity five to ten years ago may be no longer relevant today. It’s important to reassess how effective the design of your office is in regards to productivity every few years to make sure that your office is fulfilling your needs.
American Design Associates has board certified designers and expert space planners on staff to help you maximize your office space with consideration to local building & fire codes, efficient work flow, communication, and privacy requirements. Whether you are moving into a larger space, downsizing, or simply reorganizing, thorough planning makes for a smoother installation and a superior work environment.
American Design Associates, Inc. is a Contract Furniture Dealer and Design Firm located in Towson, Maryland. We proudly consider ourselves a “Dream Team” comprised of experienced project managers, interior designers, service technicians and an outstanding customer support team. We service clients throughout the Mid‐Atlantic region including Maryland, DC, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware and beyond. We have the resources and the know how to provide the best solution for all of your business needs.
Call American Design Associates today at (410) 823-5500 or contact us on our website.
Source: Office Design: How to Build A Better Office, CBS MoneyWatch