In recent years, awareness surrounding the health effects of sitting all day at an office chair and office desk has increased. It’s no secret that it’s not good to sit all day, but the vast majority of jobs in today’s information-based economy are desk based. So what are you to do?
Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to counter the health effects of sitting for long periods of time. Of course the main one is getting up frequently, but you can also improve the way you sit. Learn more about how to lead a healthier life at the office, in our blog.
7 Tips for Sitting at Your Office Desk and Office Chair
- Don’t slouch. You probably already know this, but it bears repeating. What slouching does is put more pressure on the discs and vertebrae in your back, which results in lower back pain in the long term. It also weakens your core muscles. To counteract this, make sure you’re sitting up straight, and close to the office desk. You shouldn’t have to lean over to reach the keyboard or mouse.
- Your feet should be flat on the ground, and your knees should be bent at a 90 degree angle. If your feet can’t reach the ground comfortably by adjusting your office chair, use a footrest
- Your monitor should be at eye level. You shouldn’t have to look up or down at your monitor, as this puts stress on your neck.
- Your monitor should also be at least an arm’s length away, in order to prevent eye strain. A great way to prevent eye strain is to follow the 20-20-20 rule. Every 20 minutes, look away from the monitor for at least 20 seconds at an object that is at least 20 feet away.
- Don’t crane your head forward. Keep it up straight, above your shoulders.
- Use your desk to support the weight of your arms.
- Don’t cross your legs or curl up in your office chair. Although it’s tempting to try to make yourself more comfortable this way, this is not a posture you want to sustain for a long period of time.
Keep an eye out for more tips about how to properly sit in your office chair at your office desk!
Glover Furniture and Design Group, Inc.
We are a woman operated business supplying the Delmarva region, including Washington, D.C., and Pennsylvania, with educational, institutional and commercial furniture. Stay with our blog for weekly posts! For more information, contact us today at 1-800-966-9016 or 410-771-8000. Don’t forget to connect with us on social media with Facebook, Twitter,Google+, and Pinterest.